Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Why kids are killing themself - who is responsible


Mumbai Jan 19 - Suicide sprees continued with 5 more persons including two students allegedly killing themselves in mumbai and Thane district.
Over 20 suicide cases, maximum by students, were reported in Mumbai and neighboring city just in last three weeks.
This kind of news is nowadays taking highlight on various news channel and print media. I read somewhere that as per WHO average Suicide ratio in Mumbai city is 110-120 persons per 1 million and out of which mostly are students. Few days back it was assumed that suicide cases increased after release of Indian bollywood movie 'Three Idiot', I am not sure if it’s true.

But it can easily be observed that have increased much more from 15 years back.
This is the time when some organization or government should take initiative to do a proper analysis to find real root cause of this problem. Normally it is assumed that our education system is putting major pressure on our kids, which is a major cause of this issue. I don't think this is only the education load as I think in most of recent suicide cases kids were not following any such competition and extra burden of study. I knew the time I was student and pressure of study and find the pressure is much higher when I am living a professional life and carrying bigger personal and professional responsibilities. But these pressures never brings a single feel inside me that I should get away from this pressure by ending my life. I can not at all buy the pressure is problem.
Problem is somewhere else.... something has drastically changed in past few years. It need to be studied better and cause need not to be find only in recent years but it has to be analyzed for past also. If a 20 year old kid kills his self, someone needs to find out what happened with him in last 10-12 years. In which environment he grown himself, what was his behavior and how it was differ from normal, when he started feeling low, what was his liking, disliking and hobbies, who were his friends etc etc.
I grown up in a small town in environment, where there was a good competition of education. As I belonged to middle class family, I saw money crunch and various problems. After completing my education when I came out there was much bigger competition of jobs and earning bread butter. After trying various options I moved to Mumbai in search of some job opportunity, so I could support my family. The struggling period was hard but slowly things got settled down. Now for last 13 years I am in Mumbai and loving with my family happily with God grace.
When I compare my living style when I was student and the living style kids have now find major differences, also that bring various differences and behaviors students were having at my time and now are different.
I tried to do some study and will share with you in this blog
I will continue writing this as and when I get time, keep reading

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please provide your feedback and comments on my blog.
You can also communicate to me on my email address - blogsofdeepak@gmail.com
You can also follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/deepakthaper